Sunday, 17 April 2011

Chapter 48 TEDxRamallah - glimpses


It was emotional, it was strong and it was proud.

It was groundbreaking.

Beirut, Amman and Bethlehem. Three countries, Over 20 talks and performances, one spectacularly run and presented event.

You can watch the event here so I won't go into the details.

I'll simply give you glimpses into the bits and pieces that touched and inspired me:

Mohamad El Dahshan: I love saying 'former president'

Sam Bahour: My Palestinian father can only come home as an American tourist for 3 months

Fadi Ghandour: Arab children read only 6 minutes a year as compared to 12000 in the west

Mohammad Khatib: people live passionately when given the space

Steve Sosebee: Don't be consumed by hate; humanity takes courage

Mark Gonzales: til olive trees no longer bleed

Khaled Sabawi: Not the two state solution, nor the 1 state solution - but the Green state solution

Leila Atshan: humor keeps me going

Wael Attili: keep rejecting templates

Gisel Kordestani: I'm not a doctor. I'm not an engineer. When I don't know what to do to make a change, I do what I know.


Go watch it - be inspired. Because in a country where the occupation hangs heavy, where bureaucracy can deter even the most determined and hope is sometimes forgotten - this was a statement.

This was a fist raised high in the air that says we will keep going.

We will make it.

2 comments:

  1. thank you for writing this. holds the essence of the event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fantastic - a day I will always remember. I laughed, I cried and I gaped in wonderment at all the potential and hope that still exists here.

    I felt lucky to be witnessing it.

    ReplyDelete