Sunday, 13 February 2011

Chapter 34 Haifa - Part 2: the city



Exiting Haifa bus station

Haifa has a mixed Arab and Israeli population, a large Russian community and is strangely full of Chinese restaurants.

It is one of the more successfully integrated cities and we saw little evidence of the tension that is so palpable in other Israeli cities.

It’s clean and it’s quirky. The city extends from the Mediterranean up to Mount Carmel meaning that whichever way you look, you’ve got a fantastic view.



Some areas sport brand spanking new Dubai style buildings sprinkled among the older architecture. Others seem abandoned and battered.






Following the recommendation of what has been a vital part of my travels here – my Lonely Planet Guide to Israel & the Palestinian Territories – we make our way through the Arab market in Wadi Nisnas. It was late in the day so the stalls were all closed but we still got to wander through and take a look at public art displays.









After the market we made our way to Hadar, one of the commercial centres and a busy shopping district. I found myself some moisturizer with built in sunblock – I know I know, but it’s near impossible to find in the West Bank. Plus it’s super expensive.


We then wandered back to our hostel before going out for dinner (Chinese – I was being serious before) and an evening of pool and live music at Eli’s (That’s pronounced Ellie’s by the way, not Eelie’s as we were pointedly told by the lady at the hostel).

What? How could I have known?


3 comments:

  1. I love Haifa...The place where my dad was born...He lived in Wadi Nisnas too at some point!!! Thanks for the post. I'm an avid follower of your blog and look forward to every update.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you thank you! Thanks for reading :) Wadi Nisnas was great - wished we could have seen it in full swing of the market. Felt like there was a lot of personality in Haifa - a very nice city. Also the coast line is lovely.

    ReplyDelete