Thursday, 13 January 2011

Chapter 28 Culture shock

She: I don’t understand, you spend all your time working. When are you going to find time to meet someone?

Me: Ermm, I dunno. On the weekend I guess.

She: But what have you done in this life if you don’t have a family? You're telling me this whole time you couldn’t find anyone to marry? Nobody to fall in love with? It is such a beautiful thing.

Me: Yes, it is... How did you meet your husband?

She: He was my brother's friend, I didn't really meet him til after we were married.

Me: What was that like?

She: Well, I struggled with it a lot. Suddenly you have to answer to a stranger; tell him where you're going and what you're doing.

Me: Wow, yeah must've been a huge change. I imagine it must have taken a while to get used to it.

She: Yes, that first week was very difficult.

(Silence)

Me: Well when did you start to fall in love with him? You're clearly very happy together.

She (blushes): Well you know... Once you do that thing - something just happens.

(Awkward silence)

She: So… if your mother and father live in different countries… who cooks for him?

Me: Ummm, I guess he cooks for himself.

She (guffaws): WHAT?? How can this be?

Me: Well…

(Silence)

She: Ummm, so have you thought of veiling?

Me: No, not really.

She: Is your mother veiled? Your grandmother? Aunts?

Me: No, nobody.

(Silence)

She: Do they pray at least?

Me (hesitantly): Some of them… I think.

She (joyously throwing her hands up while dishing me another plate of delicious rice in a remarkable feat of dexterity): Well thank God for that!

2 comments: