Wednesday, 18 August 2010

Preface

I have been reading Paulo Freire’s Pedagogy of the Oppressed and thinking about how I’m going to approach these next three months from a teaching perspective.

We’re meant to have an underlying theme around which we’ll build our syllabus. Something that will be beneficial on a number of different levels; not just language wise but also on a social/community level.

I’m thinking of going for a social media perspective. We’re teaching gifted students from nearby schools and refugee camps so I know they’ll be all over it from a technology perspective, but I want to work with them on how social media can be a catalyst for change and, importantly, how it connects them to the rest of the world.

And I’m not necessarily talking about advocacy either – just the empowerment that comes from information and how that can lead to campaigns, projects and new ideas. Access to different perspectives are a gift that we often take for granted.

That’s the basic idea. I’ve submitted a teaching proposal and will see what feedback I get.

My dream would be to empower these kids in a way that will ripple through their communities as they become the instigators for change and progress. They are the new generation and it is through them that they will create the change they want to see in their worlds - they just don't know they can do it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment